The Adventure Begins

The Adventure Begins
Skinny Dippin'

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Where did Summer go???

Oh my gosh!! Where did the summer go?? Why does time go by so fast?? I guess in the grand scheme of things, a 5 year plan to go cruising, is really just about enough time to get the boat and yourself ready for such a trip!! Yes, We all know people who can get ready in much less time…but those dear friends are much better at planning and ultimately implementing such a plan!


Where did I leave off last? It was the Hurricane, wasn’t it? We made it through just fine. The good people of eastern NC weren’t all so lucky. Lots of flooding and damage. We had planned on a big trip to Ocracoke for Labor Day, but decided to not intrude or impede any recovery that was happening a short week after the storm. They had a lot of work to do, and we didn’t want to get in the way. In fact, we spent a bit of time helping Tom’s cousin Andy with some cleaning up of flood damage at his homestead.


On September 10 and 11 was the annual MS150. It’s a huge cycling event benefiting the MS Society. Over 2000 cyclists converge on the city and participate in rides from 30 miles to 100 miles per day. We have ties to Team CBC….Carolina Brewing Company. We rode with them a lot before we bought the boat. It’s always good to reconnect with good friends! Throw in a good beer and a boat ride, and it’s a beautiful thing! We had Betsy & Brian, Dave, Amelia and Jon on board for a nice post ride pre lunch cruise of the historic waterfront in New Bern.






Over the course of the month, I finished the window coverings all the way around the boat. Next came a new helm cover. That took about three weekends total. One to pattern and two extra for “fittings”. Hopefully when I take the cover back this weekend, it should fit great! I made it a little big on purpose so on overnight trips, it will fit over the electronics.



My next big project should also start this weekend. I have been working my way up to the mother of all canvas projects. The Fly bridge Enclosure. It’s true. I am going to break into the sacred ground of all canvas workers. The all weather fly bridge. I’ve been gathering bits and pieces of materials. Strata glass, zippers, tape, facing and binding. I will attempt to pattern the front panels this weekend if the winds are cooperative. I tried to get started last weekend, but the wind was a little too much for a one person attempt. But, I was very happy even with my failed attempt. I learned a lot about how to accomplish this part of the job. I feel really good about what the outcome will be.


Tom is currently having our exterior doors refurbished. One at a time they are getting sandblasted and powder coated. We also just replaced our stovetop. I now have a very slick glass top stovetop just like in my kitchen at home. The new unit is only 3 inches deep, where as the 1986 version was 6 inches deep. That means I have a new cabinet to store my skillets in!! 


So, That’s the latest update. No cruising in September for Skinny Dippin’. I’m hoping for a long weekend soon to either Morehead City or Ocracoke. It’s almost time to get the electric blankets out. I can’t believe the season is almost over. Dumb hurricane. On the upside…we’ve been getting so many projects done late this season, that come next spring, we’ll be about free to simply cruise whenever we want to. (when not working of course!)

Thanks for stopping by and checking on our Adventures!!  More cruising to come.  But first, there are a few more projects to finish up to make cruising more comfortable!!  Enjoy the Autumn weather, and we'll try to get in a Fall Foliage Cruise for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment